Norwegians Worldwide and Norway–America Association Merge to Strengthen Transatlantic Ties
(Oslo, June 8, 2020) Today, Nordmanns-Forbundet/Norwegians Worldwide (NWW) and the Norway-America Association (NORAM) announced they will merge the two organizations to continue strengthening the relations between Norway and the US and Canada. The new organization will be named the Norway-America Association.
The mission of the Norway–America Association is to promote transatlantic cooperation through academic and cultural exchange, ensuring lifelong learning.
The organization will work toward:
- Kids and youth: promoting Norwegian language, culture, and outdoor life through Norgesskolen in Telemark, a summer school for children living in other countries with a connection to Norway.
- Students: continuing to provide scholarships from Norge–Amerika Stiftelsen and partners in the US, free guidance on study opportunities in North-America and Norway, and updated information to pupils, students, and student advisors across Norway.
- Alumni: establishing new fora and networks that will encourage lifelong learning.
- Networks: strengthening and developing networks in North-America for members and alumni as well as partner organizations and universities.
– The historical and political ties between Norway and North-America are strong. We share the same values, and cultural exchange is more important than ever. By merging, we will reach and engage many more in our efforts to promote lifelong learning on both sides of the Atlantic, says Peder Chr. Løvenskiold, President of the Norway-America Association.
NWW and NORAM are sister organizations, and together, in the new organization, they will safeguard the more than 100 years of history of both organizations, through, for example, continuing the cooperation with the Norwegian Emigrant Museum, the American–Scandinavian Foundation, Thanks to Scandinavia, and Fulbright Norway.
The Norway-America Association will continue to serve as a member organization. Anyone interested in transatlantic cooperation are welcome as members.
For more information, please contact:
Secretary General Hanne K. Aaberg
cellphone: +47 913 51 681 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nordmanns-Forbundet/Norwegians Worldwide (NWW) is a non-profit membership organization established in 1907 and a worldwide cultural network for Norwegians living abroad. Our mission is to unite Norwegians and friends of Norway, to work together to promote Norwegian culture and interests. We also work to increase the knowledge and understanding of the value of the Norwegian diaspora. Although the organization has a global reach, transatlantic cooperation is of particular interest as most members live in North-America.
The Norway-America Association (NORAM), established in 1919, is a non-profit membership organization with the mission to promote cultural and practical cooperation between Norway and North-America, chiefly through academic exchange. NORAM provides free student guidance on study opportunities and awards master’s degree, PhD, and research scholarships in the US and Norway provided by Norge–Amerika Stiftelsen or on behalf of foundations in the US. NORAM also has partner institutions in the US offering scholarships to bachelor students.
HM King Harald V is the Royal Patron of both organizations.