The purpose of the scholarships is to provide financial support for Americans to study in Norway. By supporting post-graduate study or research in areas of mutual importance to Norway and the United States we hope to bring the two countries closer. By awarding scholarships to American students or researchers, knowledge and understanding will increase, and it will strengthen the ties of friendship between the two countries.
Every year, we offer up to ten scholarships to American students, based on merit and need. The amounts vary from 10 000 kr – 40 000 kr. The size of the individual grants will depend on the research subject, purpose and the intended length of stay in Norway.
Information on studies in Norway, and on the Norwegian system of higher education, can be found here: Study in Norway.
The application deadline is April 1st 2018 for fall 2018-spring 2019. Application will open in January 2018.
Terms of the awards
- Must be American citizen, planning to study/or currently studying in Norway.
- Scholarships are only for full time graduate level studies, both exchange and whole degree in Norway. Online courses are not approved.
- The project description must be of academic merit, and the project must be feasible within the framework proposed.
- Students can apply without being accepted to an institution before the application deadline, but must submit documentation of admission/invitation if awarded a scholarship.
- The project/academic field must be of mutual benefit to the two countries.
Scholarship period and length:
- The scholarships are given within the academic year (August 1st – May 31th), and are awarded one year at a time. Keep in mind that one can only be awarded two times.
- The program period has to be minimum three months.
- Applicants who are awarded/have applied for funding from other sources for the same application period applied must notify NORAM about this.
Next deadline is April 1st, 2018.